The No. 9 seed Falcons are back in the Class 4A state championship game for the first time since 1999 and will take on No. 2 Loveland for the title at Broncos Stadium at Mile High on Saturday. Falcons head coach Mike Silva sits down the Brad Cochi to talk about the Falcons’ return to prominence, the 2018 season, preview the state championship and much more. To listen on a mobile device, CLICK HERE.
Topics covered in this episode:
• Skyline won two games or fewer in eight out of 10 seasons from 2006 to 2015 but is back a title game for the first time since 1999. Considering how long the program has waited and how quickly you guys have turned things around in the past four years, what is the vibe like on the team right now, knowing that the Falcons play for a state title at Mile High on Saturday?
• Some of the highs and lows, and moments of adversity, the Falcons have experienced along the way this season.
• In the era of open enrollment, what has changed so that Skyline has been able to load up on the type of top-level talent that’s required to make a run at a state championship.
• Some of the unsung heroes for this year’s Skyline football team.
• Nate McGregor, the senior who opened the year as the starting quarterback before getting injured and has since returned to help out in a multitude of roles for the Falcons.
• What it has been like for the Falcons to receive such overwhelming support from the school, the fans, the parents and the local community while they have rebuilt the program over the past several seasons, and how it has helped them generate momentum.
• Does being in uncharted territory this deep in the postseason add pressure or have the opposite effect?
• On Nov. 2, Loveland defeated Skyline, 42-14, to claim the Longs Peak League title. What can we expect to be different in the rematch on Saturday?
• A quick scouting report of the Loveland football team.
• As a Skyline High alumnus, what it is like for Silva, personally, to be in the position the team is in.
• Much more
Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/BoCoPreps