LAFAYETTE — This year’s Centaurus Warrior Invitational boys tennis tournament attracted so many quality teams that it functioned almost as a miniature state tournament preview.
For the Dawson Mustangs, who expect big things from their lineup this year, winning the tournament on Saturday was an exciting victory for their season opener. The icing on the cake was bit of cross-sports revenge from this spring’s Class 4A boys lacrosse state title game, in which Valor Christian team defeated Dawson.
“We’re very pleased,” Dawson head coach Kathy Benninghoff said. “We were thrilled that Valor made it. We felt as a school that we had a lacrosse title to avenge. We thought in our own small way, we could bring about a different result and we did. It wasn’t our primary motivation but it was a little extra.”
Under the compass draw format, the Mustangs won with a team score of 10 points. The Mustangs placed first at Nos. 2 and 3 singles and Nos. 1, 2 and 3 doubles. Valor Christian was runner up with 19 points.
Peak to Peak sophomore Teo Cariov, who stepped in at No. 1 singles while Brett Finan is out of town, won the tournament’s top division. He defeated Valor Christian’s Carter Logan, 6-4, 6-3.
“This was a tough tournament with a lot of good competition and a lot of good players,” Peak to Peak coach Eric Farran said. “That final was a good fight. Teo played well. He had a gameplan, he implemented it and he executed. It’s the first time Teo has played high school tennis. He’s going to end up at No. 2 for us and we’re expecting him to have a good season.”
Dawson’s Riley Burridge defeated Peak to Peak’s Max Sherman, 6-3, 6-1 for the No. 2 singles title. Carter Holbrook, also from Dawson, bested Valor Christian’s Chapin Schott Valor Christian, 7-5, 6-3 in the No. 3 singles title match.
Highlighted by freshman Austin Kattenhorn placing fifth at No. 1 singles, Centaurus was seventh in the team scoring. Skyline was eighth.
Overall, Centaurus head coach Julie Daniel said she was thrilled to see how the Warrior Invitational has grown in its fourth year.
“Our goal for this tournament is to bring the best tennis players together to celebrate tennis,” Daniel said. “We were very pleased with all the teams’ sportsmanship. So many players here could see each other again at state and we had six of the eight regions represented. I was also really pleased with how the Centaurus boys did against this level of competition.”
Centuarus Warrior Invitational
At Centaurus H.S.
Team scores —
Dawson 10, Valor Christian 19, Evergreen 24, Peak to Peak 31, Golden 33, Vail Mountain 42, Centaurus 45, Skyline 48.
1. Teo Cariov (Peak to Peak) def. Carter Logan (Valor Christian), 6-4, 6-3; 2. Riley Burridge (Dawson) def. Max Sherman (Peak to Peak), 6-3, 6-1; 3. Carter Holbrook (Dawson) def. Chapin Schott (Valor Christian), 7-5, 6-3.
1. Gavyn Pure/Finn Jones (Dawson) def. Bray Polkinghorne/Jonathan Hertel (Valor Christian), 6-4, 4-6, 6-2; 2. Cade McClellan/Seth Clemente (Dawson) def. Teddy Evans/Jon Woodward (Evergreen), 6-4, 6-2; 3. Ben Howson/Sam Troughton (Dawson) def. Ian Shane/Truman Osborne (Valor Christian), 7-5, 6-1; 4. : Jack Cuntz/Carter Morrill (Evergreen) def. Ryan Otto/Cam Cramer (Dawson), 6-4, 3-6, 6-4.
1. Connor Larson (Dawson) def. Ryan Lahr (Evergreen), 6-0, 6-0; 2. Nick Solimene (Valor Christian) def. Dylan Stump (Evergreen), 7-5, 5-7,6-2; 3. Ben Idler (Golden) def. Ryan Dawsey (Vail Mountain), 7-5, 7-5.
1. Jack Torgeler/Gus Bosch (Evergreen) def. Trent Bonczynski/Jake Kringel (Golden), 6-1, 6-1; 2. Trenton Steese/Ben Findlow (Valor Christian) def. Cole Ernst/Theron McAdoo (Golden), 6-3, 3-6, 6-1; 3. Zak Chorny/Zak Bayer (Golden) def. Eduardo Galindo/Jon Uchida (Centaurus), 6-3, 7-6 (7-5); 4. Jared Seefried/Giovanni Gurrola (Skyline) def. Grant Lancaster/Adam Kiehl (Peak to Peak), 7-6 (7-4), 6-3.
1. Austen Kattenhorn (Centaurus) def. Marc Philippon (Vail Mountain), 6-1, 6-1; 2. Chris Jachimiak (Centaurus) def. Julian Claussen (Golden), 6-3, 4-6, 6-4; 3. Tyler Weiend (Evergreen) def. Ishan Kumar (Peak to Peak), 1-6, 7-6 (8-6), 6-4.
1. Duncan Dunninger/Parth Kansaro (Peak to Peak) def. Jacob Turtletaub/Trace Landreth (Vail Mountain), 6-4, 6-4; 2. Troy Rindone/Ripley Stone (Vail Mountain) def Nimish Garg/Bryan Coates (Peak to Peak) 6-2, 6-3; 3. Will Woodward/Jack Deblois (Evergreen) def. Liam Bruno/Logan Peto (Vail Mountain), 6-1, 6-1; 4. Peyton Case/Gabe Grams (Valor Christian) def. Dylan Smith/Hans Petersen (Golden), 6-3, 6-4.