Longmont Christian School has let the Colorado High School Activities Association know it won’t be fielding a football team for the 2015 season, citing a lack of numbers.
Warriors athletic director Melody Jauregui said on Friday night that while 16 students attended the football meeting earlier this summer, not even half the players ended up committing to the 8-man program. Rather than begin the season and see how it played out, Jauregui and the coaching staff decided to forgo their schedule entirely.
“Telling the league and telling CHSAA was extremely hard but we didn’t have a choice,” Jauregui said. “(Forfeiting) games wouldn’t have benefited the opponents, so we just said, we plan to be back.”
Last year, the Warriors went 0-9 in Joshua Mendenhall’s only year as coach. The Warriors found another leader in Anthony Barela, whom Jauregui said is fully invested in the program, but he will have to spend his first months on the job trying to get players rather than coaching them out on the football field.
With a new two-year cycle coming in 2016-17, the Warriors could move down to 6-man, but the goal is to remain an 8-man squad.
“The guys that did show up, they were amazed at the system they were learning from the new coach,” Jauregui said. “(Barela) is willing to start working with our middle school, and he will work to rebuild the program.”