Mark Leffingwell / Staff Photographer
A rain-soaked Scott Carpenter Park shows why the first day of the annual Boulder NIT was postponed Wednesday.

BOULDER — After the first day of the Boulder National Invitational Tournament was wiped away because of rain on Wednesday, there are still more questions than answers as to how the rest of the event will play out for the 32 teams invited.

There is a good chance that early morning games at each of the five sites on Thursday will be postponed or canceled, but for tournament director Chris Bukowski of Diamond Baseball of Boulder, there are some priorities in how they are moving forward.

Later Wednesday evening, DBOB announced the 10 a.m. game Thursday at Scott Carpenter Park between the Regina Expos and HitStreak, in addition to Monarch’s 10 a.m. game at home against Slammers Bauer, have been postponed.

“Right now, what we’re trying to work out with the umpiring group is to move all the Wednesday (pool play) games to Saturday, so we can get all 21 of those games in,” said Bukowski. “The tournament was a four-game guarantee for everybody, so my first goal is to get everyone their four games in. We’ll have to work on the championship part of it from there.”

The NIT is utilizing the fields at Scott Carpenter Park in Boulder, Monarch High in Louisville, Centaurus and Peak to Peak high schools in Lafayette, and Legacy in Broomfield. One game did get played on Wednesday, that being a 7-1 win for Centaurus over Summit.

With a heavy probability of rain through late Wednesday night, everything is essentially tentative. The best-case scenario would have the remainder of Thursday’s originally scheduled pool play games conducted, as well as Friday’s, then move Wednesday’s slate to Saturday.

That would mean changing up the bracket play and just taking the four teams with the best records for Sunday’s semifinals and championship at Scott Carpenter.

“We still have to confirm that we can get umpires for Saturday,” Bukowski said, adding that he probably won’t be able to finalize those plans until later on Thursday. “We’ll see what happens overnight, because (Thursday) can be iffy also.”

The teams were ready to roll on Wednesday morning but the rains moved in quickly.

“We showed up at the field, and it really rained the whole day so we’re waiting to see what happens,” said Longmont-Erie coach Tom Fobes, whose team has fared well at tournaments so far this summer. “You’re probably going to cram more games into fewer days, so your guys that you had pitching (Wednesday), they’re going to have a hard time coming back. It changes things a little bit, for sure.”

Follow Adam on Twitter: