The Class 3A football state tournament is here and the Holy Family football team is right in the mix competing for a state title, set to host 10th-seeded Fort Morgan (8-20 in the first round.
As they have all season, the Tigers (8-2) will be led by junior quarterback Chris Helbig. In their no-huddle offense, Helbig has passed for 3,008 yards, 33 touchdowns and five interceptions this season. Senior tailback Ryan Younggreen leads the Tigers with 1,476 yards and 22 touchdowns.
Solidified as one of the state’s top team from the get go, the Tigers have lost just two games this season. They suffered a Week 2 defeat at the hands of top-seeded Discovery Canyon (10-0) and third-seeded Roosevelt (9-1) in Week 7.
The Tigers lost a 42-41 battle against Delta in the first round of last year’s state tournament.
Fort Morgan features a stingy defense that is allowing an average of 7.1 points and has six shutouts this season.
First round (Dates and times TBD unless noted)
(16) Berthoud (7-3) at (1) Discovery Canyon (10-0), Friday, 7 p.m., at D20 Stadium
(9) Delta (7-3) at (8) Conifer (8-2), Saturday, 2:30 p.m., at Trailblazer Stadium
(13) Canon City (7-3) at (4) Pueblo East (7-3), Saturday, 1 p.m.
(12) Palisade (7-3) at (5) Lutheran (10-0), Saturday, 1 p.m., at Douglas County Stadium
(14) Eagle Valley (7-3) at (3) Roosevelt (9-1), Saturday, 1 p.m.
(11) Northridge (6-4) at (6) Rifle (9-1), Saturday, 1 p.m.
(10) Fort Morgan (8-3) at (7) Holy Family (8-2), Saturday, 1 p.m.
(15) Evergreen (10-0) at (2) Glenwood Springs (6-4), Saturday, 11 a.m., at Trailblazer Stadium
Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/BoCoPreps