With 18 high schools playing football in the BoCoPreps.com area, it seems only fitting that we should crown a mythical champ. So here goes, the first BoCoPreps.com football power rankings of the season.
About a year ago, I advocated for a 4A/5A Boulder County football league. If we had such, power rankings wouldn't be necessary. Instead we get to debate our little fingers off on the interwebz.
Here's how the rankings will work. I'll rank the top eight teams in the area each week regardless of classification. And I'll give an honorary shout out to a ninth squad from the small-school ranks that is deserving of such each week.
With a pair of 4A schools topping the first list, there should be plenty to talk about. Enjoy.
1. LONGMONT (4-0, 4A): The talented Trojans are blasting everyone, including 5A Arvada West and last year's 4A state runner-up Wheat Ridge.
2. MONARCH (3-0, 4A): With big wins over Broomfield and Greeley West, the Coyotes are as tested as anyone. But playoff losses to Longmont in two of the last three seasons give the Trojans the edge for now.
3. FAIRVIEW (2-1, 5A): The Knights could end up being the top area squad in the end, but not sure their full potential has been on display just yet.
4. BOULDER (3-0, 5A): We'll know more about the Panthers as their schedule picks up the next few weeks, but tailback Demetrius Kennedy gives them a shot every game.
5. BROOMFIELD (2-1, 4A): Will the real Eagles please stand up? An impressive showing against Legacy one week only to get humbled by Monarch the next.
6. LEGACY (2-1, 5A): Was the home loss to Broomfield a fluke? 5A North Metro League play is only a week away.
7. SILVER CREEK (2-1, 3A): The experienced Raptors might have the weapons to hold their own against some of the big schools on this list.
8. NIWOT (1-2, 4A): An unfortunate forfeit in Week 1 keeps the Cougars from having a winning record right now.
NEDERLAND (1-2, 1A): Nederland gets the honorary small-school props this week after halting a 12-game losing streak with a 27-20 triumph over Denver Christian.